Friday, March 19, 2010

You seem different

I've heard this phrase a lot lately. Thankfully it's usually a positive thing. I seem happier. I'm more concerned with actually learning something than just getting a good grade. And so I've been asked what it is that has made the difference.

There are a lot of things, hard things, that I fought to overcome to get where I am now. So I would have to say that's a big part of it.

But when I really thought about it, I remembered a moment I had last year...a decision I made. I wanted to shift my focus and my perspective. I've spent years trying to do the rights things. What brings me real happiness is being able to choose to do good things because I want to and out of love. And so my focus shifted. I turned my attention to my motivations. Some people think that only doing things that you want to do turns into not doing anything. It did the opposite for me. I am more concerned with where my heart is and who I am becoming than just doing the right things.

Now don't get me wrong. I still try to do all that is expected of me. But I am not going to do it because it is expected of me. I want to choose to do them out of a greater love for others and for the one who loves me most.

No comments:

Post a Comment