Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The first ray

Today I was walking down the hallway at work and came upon a student who was very lost. No surprise since the office they were looking for is in an obscure place you would only find if you knew the building. It was on the way to where I was headed anyway, so I showed a very grateful student the way. In the process I had a few thoughts. So many times I come to work and wonder if what I am doing even matters, that because of budget limitations, burned out employees, and constant frustrations, it's hard to feel like I can do anything to keep a positive attitude. And yet in that moment, I wanted to thank that student. I wanted to thank him for the look of relief when he found his way, for having the courage to ask a stranger for help, and for letting me be a little ray of sunshine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment